Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Odds and Ends...and if you make it a FREEBIE!

This picture is just the story of my life right now...I'm usually really good about getting out of school by 4:30 or 5 {at the very latest} but these last few weeks between adopting a new textbook series in reading {and having to inventory and get rid of our old} trying to de-clutter my room for my big move in a few weeks, and all the other fun end of the year odds and ends I have been stuck at school a little bit later {and even some weekends} Luckily for me I have a fabulous co-worker who reminds me when I have been here too late...however she left this note at 5, so I am not sure what that says for her :)
Last week was teacher appreciate week, and let me tell you our parents go all out here at my school. Every year they choose a theme and decorate the entire school accordingly. This year's theme was Wizard of Oz...and WOW every year is pretty fantastic but this year was above and beyond. 
This is outside the office...yup those are life-size cardboard cutouts of the characters! The rest of the characters were spread out around the rest of the building.
On Friday evening after we all leave the parents come up to school and decorate our doors so when we come in on Monday we have a nice little surprise. This was my door this year and I was EXTREMELY grateful that my parents kept it simple! As I walked down the hall I saw Wizard of Oz characters on other teacher's doors with their faces taped to it. The only thing I could think was "Please don't let my door have the wicked witch or a munkin on it with my picture!"
When I walked in I had my very own yellow brick road and "ruby red flip-flops"
The parents also spoiled us with a special classroom treat delivered to our rooms!
On Friday all of the kids brought red "ruby red slipper" gifts to put it into this adorable basket. I might be slightly spoiled by this class ;)
 Another big event we do every year at my school is a parent appreciation luncheon. Since I had such fabulous parent helpers this year I wanted to do something a little extra for them.
I went to Bath and Body Works and was able to get 4 for $15 on their fabulous hand-soap
I got tissue paper wrapped them up and put them in plastic goody bags, added a bow, and a note that said: Thanks for lending a "helping hand"
Here is a close up shot...don't mind the mess around it :) I was going to make the little note cuter but I ran out of time!! We had our luncheon this morning and the moms loved their gifts!

If you want more great ideas for end of the year gifts head over to Swimming Into Second and check out her linky party!


FINALLY...with 4th Grade Frolics as my inspiration I put together an end of the year scrapbook for my kiddos. I explained the project to them today and they are so excited to get started, and I have to admit I am excited to read what they write. It's always interesting in this class! Go check out Tara's adorable *free* memory book or if you would like a copy of mine you can grab a FREE copy here.

Also as you may have noticed my blog underwent a little make-over today thanks to Alicia at Dream Like Magic I am LOVING the new design!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! I am jealous of your school. We don't really do anything for teacher appreciation. It would be nice to have a surprise like that!

    Swimming into Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just awarded you with the One Lovely Blog Award! Check out my blog for more details.
    Darleen
    Third Grade Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally jealous of your awesome parents!!! Thanks for the adorable memory book!!

    Jessica Stanford
    mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nice handsoap is a clever gift, nicely packaged too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the ideas! Thanks for your kind comment, and now I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You are one lucky teacher :) What a special treat to be recognized by the parents like that. I bet it left you smiling all day! I just found your blog and I'm so excited to be able to follow another 3rd grade teacher. I'm looping to 3rd next year, so I'm trying to get my brain into 3rd grade mode haha.
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the book printable. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Started following you after discovering you on Manic Monday. Lots of good ideas to check out.

    This book is so cute! Love that it is B & W as we don't have a color printer. I was wondering if you would be willing to make a version with all boys...if it is not too much trouble.

    tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete