Thursday, April 19, 2012

Money, Money, Money-Freebie

Thanks again to my blog stalking skills I was able to find a fun activity for my student's to practice adding money.

After spending some over at 4th Grade Frolics I found this activity and I just knew my kids would love it so I got right on creating my own money key. (I added in 1 and 5 dollar bills to make it a little more challenging) Let me tell you it was a hit...the kids LOVED adding up "the cost" of different words (especially their names) I even rotate this activity into our guided reading centers occasionally and have the kids find the worth of the 3rd grade high frequency words, and the best part is it takes quite a bit of concentration so they are really quiet while doing it :)
Another fun money activity my kids enjoy is "Coins tic-tac-toe". The kids work in groups of 2 (sometimes 3 if necessary) The first player lays 4 chips/paper clips/markers etc down on any 4 of the coins at the bottom of the page. They add up the coins and if that amount is on the board they get that space (color it, cross it out, etc) The second player then moves ONLY ONE chip to another coin, adds up the amount and if that amount is on the board they win that space. Game continues until they get a tic-tac-toe. (this can be changed to getting 4 in a row which makes the game go a little quicker) Usually after one round my kids pick up on different strategies they can use to win...I let them figure this out on their own.

If you would like to download either one of these freebies visit my TPT store :)

No comments:

Post a Comment