Friday, April 6, 2012

Making the Switch

I haven't always taught 3rd grade and honestly I never really had the desire to. Ever since I can remember I wanted to teach 5th grade. I thought that was the PERFECT age. I apparently thought raging hormones, girl drama, eye rolling, and the ever important "looking cool" was really fun. Now don't get me wrong, I liked teaching 5th grade, even though every year after spring break my kids magically transformed into snotty middle schoolers, I still enjoyed them. They were independent, would say some pretty hilarious things, and they were at the point where we could do really fun projects and they always seemed to amaze me with their abilities.

So last May when I finished my masters degree I decided I was up for a little bit of a challenge and I asked my principal if I could move to 3rd grade. Unfortunately with transfers, placements and several other factors I was unable to move. While I was bummed, I wasn't devastated...I loved 5th grade and loved my teammate so life went on. End of story...or so I thought. Just 1 week before we had to report back to school my principal called me and let me know that one of the 3rd grade teachers would be transfering back to her old school and she wanted to know if I was still interested in the position. Of course I was interested...but this made things a little more interesting. I now only had 7 short days to move classrooms, figure out what the heck I was going to do with 25 little 3rd graders, and get aquainted with my team. I didn't hesistate for second though...I figured why not take this chance, it will be a fun challenge.

So here I am almost through my first year of teaching 3rd grade and I couldn't be more thrilled with my decision. I love 3rd grade...I love that my kids hug me in the morning when they get to school...I love that they LOVE school...I love that they are still so sweet and kind to each other...and mostly I love that they are smaller than me! ;) I absolutely love everything about 3rd grade! This is definitely the place for me :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather!

    I just came across your blog and am so excited to be your first follower!

    I agree that even though I have my own blog now I still do A LOT of blog stalking!

    I think there are people made for every grade level...I do like being bigger than the kiddos I teach!

    I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete