Saturday, April 21, 2012

Figurative Language Fun!

Why is it when I decide to spend a few hours of my Saturday up at school, I end up spending ALL day? I swear the minute I walk into my classroom time speeds up!! Sometimes this is a blessing and sometimes it is a curse. It's a blessing because my days NEVER drag on during the school week, time flies everyday...however I just never have the time to get everything I want to get done, done.

So here I am up at school on a Saturday, and yes blogging probably isn't helping my productivity, but I needed a break from cutting, cleaning, and planning for next week :)

Over the last few weeks we have been studying figurative language, and let me tell you we have been having a blast!

We started our unit off with idioms. The kids use and hear these everyday they just didn't know what they were called. I was really impressed with their knowledge of what the actual expressions meant. I was also pretty impressed with some of the idioms they knew on there own. When we were brainstorming idioms one of my kids shared "My dogs are barking" which definitely put a smile on my face!

The first thing we did was read "Even More Parts" by Ted Arnold. We had a lot of fun with this book...the illustrations are amazing!

After reading we made a list of idioms that weren't mentioned in the book. The kids then chose their favorite and illustrated the literal meaning, which made for some pretty fun pictures :)

Thanks to Christie over at Teaching in Flip Flops after we were done with our illustrations we had a fun way to display them in the hallway!

Here are a few examples of the kids interpretations :)

"Please give me a hand"
"Why the long face?"
"I have ants in my pants"

After idioms we moved on to similes! We read Crazy like a Fox by Loreen Leedy and brainstormed more similes and then chose our favorites for a fun display in the hallway :) 



"Busy as a Bee"
After similes we started metaphors, these were a little harder for the kids to understand. I just had to keep reminding them that it's like a simile without the words "like" or "as"

For our metaphor project I found a darling activity on TPT from Mary Bauer. Color Poems incorporated similes and metphors. I decided to add a little fun and mess to this activity with water colors to decorate our poetry :) 
That's all for now, I suppose I should get back to work!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for participating in the I <3 My Blog {Hop}! Those bees are SO cute!!

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete